Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Welcome With Some Bad Pancakes!

Hello fellow bloggers!

Last weekend I moved into my first apartment and am officially living on my own for the first time! Granted, last year I live in the university dorms but they baby you so much there, it didn’t seem to count. Already I have begun to encounter the difficulties of taking care of myself for the first time in my life. Not to say I’ve never been independent, I’ve just always had my parents or a resident advisor around.

As pathetic as it sounds, I never really learned how to cook when I lived at home and I am not much of a house maker at all. Not that I’m dumb or anything, I’ve just never done some things that my roommate has been doing her whole life. She finds it funny that I’ve never used a dishwasher or had no idea that you could turn on a light in the oven to see if whatever is in there is fully cooked. I know! It’s terrible.

So, I thought it would be interesting to blog about my experiences in my new apartment. I’ll update with all sorts of stories that I encounter along the way through my first year in a new apartment. What better way to start this blog than with a story that happened just this morning?

I have mentioned above that I cannot cook. I was not kidding. I have burnt tuna helper so bad I had to scrub the bowl for hours. I had never used a pasta strainer before and using the oven is completely baffling to me. At home, my two staple appliances were the toaster and the microwave, and possibly for good reason.

My roommate and I thought it would be fun to make chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast since it was the weekend. Why she let me help her, I may never know. She mixes the batter without any problems and then makes the fatal decision to let us both pour the mix onto the pan and flip them. When it was my turn to pour the batter, two things happened. Firstly, I burnt my pancakes. Secondly, I flipped them off of the pan… and onto the oven. Master Chef? I think not.

Here is the horrific outcome, in the prettiest form I could make them. If it is any consolation, they tasted a lot better than they looked.

I hope you enjoyed reading and this is only the beginning of my wonderous adventures! Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment