Sunday, November 13, 2011

Happy Veteran's Day!

This past Friday was Veteran’s Day and what better way to spend Veteran’s Day than in the nation’s capital? That’s what I did!
My boyfriend lives up in northern Virginia where he attends school and I was able to visit him this weekend. Not only was it Veteran’s Day, but it was 11/11/11, so I guess you could say I was pretty lucky J
Friday morning we went on a tour of the Pentagon. My boyfriend’s dad works there so he was able to get us in. Going through security was interesting, we had to get our hands checked for chemicals and my boyfriend was accused of dating a minor by the security guards checking IDs. Maybe one day I’ll look my age.
Next we went in to get the grand tour and it was pretty spectacular. There are so many displays throughout the hallways it’s almost like a miniature museum. There were so pictures, displays, and one of the gold plated AKs Saddam Hussein would give to those loyal to him. We also got to see the executive dining rooms, which was really neat.
Right outside the Pentagon is a memorial for all those who died in the September 11 attacks on the Pentagon as well. It is on the side of the building where the plane crashed and there is a small memorial for each person. They were arranged by age and placed almost on a timeline so you could read the names and see how old they were. The youngest was about eight-years-old and the oldest was 81.
After the Pentagon that morning, we got to see Kansas play in concert that night. They were playing with the Army orchestra at Constitution Hall. Granted, I only knew two of their songs, but I still enjoyed the concert and the other songs were really good too.
Best part of the concert though? Watching all the older people jam out to the Kansas songs. Then once “Carry on My Wayward Son” came on, everyone was standing and rocking out.
It was definitely a fun weekend and a great way to celebrate Veteran’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment