Sunday, September 18, 2011

Roasting Marshmallows Over An Open Fire... Sort Of.

I have only been camping three times in my life. However, each time I would roast marshmallows over the fire and make delicious s’mores. The combination of crunch graham cracker, gooey marshmallow, and rich chocolate always drove my taste buds crazy. Unfortunately, living in an apartment, I can’t just make a fire in the backyard. Nor can I just make a fire in the fireplace and roast them because I don’t have a fireplace. So my roommate and I thought of the next best thing: make s’mores in the kitchen!
The first few times we tried to make s’mores we popped them in the microwave. I had made s’mores in the microwave with my boyfriend before so I thought that this couldn’t be any different.  Well, when I made them with my boyfriend, we used the marshmallow puff crème instead of real marshmallows. I forgot that we made this substitution because marshmallows blow up to twenty times their natural size and then just taste weird.
So, my roommate and I put the s’more together with marshmallows and all and put in the microwave. The marshmallows blew up and knocked off the graham cracker. After they were done, we tried to taste them and they were just weird. It took a minute just to chew the marshmallow because the microwave had morphed it so badly.
My roommate and I decided that this would not work. So, she pointed out the fact that we had a gas oven and could roast the marshmallows over the burners. I had no idea what gas oven meant, I thought she was saying our oven ran on gasoline but I later found out that just means that stuff burns if you let it hover over the burners. So that’s exactly what we did!
We stuck our marshmallows onto forks and watched the marshmallows toast over the burner. The first time it was done, our marshmallows did catch on fire but we’re still learning!

Roasting marshmallows over our oven burner! Medal forks were probably not the best idea with the heat..

The marshmallows turned out toasted to perfection! We put them over chocolate and graham crackers and it tasted (almost) as good as if it were over a real campfire! 

The finished product! So delicious and the chocolate actually ended up melting!

No comments:

Post a Comment